Pages

May 13, 2010

Woman With No Arms Aims For Black Belt

A US woman who was born without arms or kneecaps is hoping to gain her black belt in taekwondo.
Sheila Radziewicz is to take her test next month at Bruce McCorry's Martial Arts in New York State, reports the Salem News.

The 32-year-old brown belt, who was born with TAR syndrome, has been training in martial arts for three years.


Ms Radziewicz, who lives in Salem and works as an advocate for victims of domestic violence, said she has never let her disability stop her.
"I grew up with the phrase, "The impossible only takes a little longer"," she said. "They never let me say I couldn't. They told me that I could." Her training is adapted to accommodate her limitations.

"They show me the regular form, and when we get to a point where I can't do it, we find a way to change it," she said.

Mr McCorry, her teacher, said he had never seen a student like Ms Radziewicz. Despite her condition, she can use nunchucks and break boards with her kicks.

"She is a very motivating person for myself," he said. "There are no excuses, in other words."- Courtesy of orange.co

BruDirect.Com 

0 comments: